This week in the Crock Pot Series I’ve cooked up a nice beef bourguignon, its a bit more expensive than last weeks recipe as it uses beef and red wine, but if your cooking for 4 the costs are reduced! As with last week I am using my Crock Pot 37401BC Slow Cooker Brushed Chrome 3.5L to cook the my meal.
Beef Bourguignon is a rich red wine and beef French dish, it tastes really very good! It takes approximately 5-6 hours to cook on a low heat in the slow cooker.
Ingredients (Serves 3-4)
- A large pack of diced beef, or braised beef steaks chopped into reasonable chunks.
- 4 slices of streaky bacon, or a couple slices of regular bacon.
- One carrot, or about a dozen small carrots/baby carrots.
- A dozen shallots or 1 large onion chopped.
- 1/2 a bottle of red wine or a small bottle of red wine.
- 2 crushed cloves of garlic.
- A dozen button mushrooms.
- Fresh or dried thyme, a small teaspoon full.
- A table spoon of tomato puree.
- Just over 1/2 a pint glass of boiling water. (don’t pour boiling water in a pint glass it might shatter!)
- A couple bay leaves.
- One beef stock.
- Seasonal vegetables and new potatoes/mashed potatoes to serve.
- Fry up the bacon slightly and then chop up into small bits and place in the crock pot.
- Cover the diced beef in a small amount of flour and fry until lightly coloured. Then place in the crock pot.
- Add about a dozen button mushrooms to the crock-pot.
- Chop up a carrot and place them with the prepared shallots in a frying pan briefly to brown them slightly. Place them in the crock pot.
- Add the crushed garlic, stock cube, boiled water, bay leaves, thyme, wine and tomato puree together and pour into the crock pot.
- Place the lid on and allow to cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- Remember to put on your vegetables and potatoes near the end of the time!