Cooking may seem hard to start with, but after a while you will get used to it and will be able to measure out visually rather than using a scales for most of your meals. Cooking can also be a great fun way to relax after a stressful day.
Student Kitchen/Cooking Equipment Essentials
Before you start cooking you will need some essential cooking items. I have covered all of these in my Student Essentials Guide but I shall just recap them briefly.
- A frying pan with lid and a wok are both very useful.
- A couple sauce pans, and possibly a steamer (better for cooking vegetables than in boiling water)
- A colander and a sieve.
- A casserole dish. (Oven proof dish)
- Kitchen scissors
- Chopping Board
- Chopping Knife, Meat Knife, Bread Knife.
- Garlic Crusher, Cheese Grater, Bean Shredder, Lemon Squeezer, Potato Peeler
- Tin Opener, Bottle Opener, Corkscrew
- Glasses and Mugs
- Freezer Bags, Sandwich Bags and Sandwich Boxes. Labels or Pens to write on them!
- Kitchen Scales
- Wooden Spoon
- Cooking Tray
Student Cupboard Essentials
It’s important to keep a healthy stock cupboard full of all the essential ingredients you will need to cook with, some of these shall vary depending on your taste and dislike or like for certain things, but here are a few ideas.
- Rice, Pasta, Noodles, Couscous and Potatoes.
- Tinned Tomatoes, Sweetcorn, Peas and Baked Beans.
- A Bulb of Garlic.
- Lea and Perrins (Worcester Source).
- Soy Sauce.
- Small Bottle of Red and White wine!
- Sugar, Salt & Pepper
- A variety of spices and powders: Basil, Tarragon, Curry Powder, Chicken/Meat Seasoning, Oregano, Italian Spices, Barbecue.
- Stock Cubes – Pork, Beef, Chicken, Fish (depending on what you eat)
- Cooking Oil.
- Block of Cheddar Cheese
- Butter or Spread.
- Bread Loaf.
- Ketchup and Mayonnaise
- Onions, Mushrooms, your favourite seasonal vegetables.
- Tea Bags/ Coffee Powder.
- Plain Flour, Corn Flour.
- Breakfast Cereal
- Vinegar/White Wine Vinegar.
- Tomato Puree
- Cream for Cooking
- Mustard (Dijon or English)
Essential Student Lazy Day Food Supplies
- Tinned Soup and Instant Noodles
- Frozen Chips and Nuggets/Fish Fingers/Chicken Kiev etc.
- Frozen Pizza
- Frozen Loaf of Bread
- A Ready Meal (they are expensive though, and taste really very bad usually!)
- The Takeaway Menu!