Regular items are those that you will be wanting to use frequently. Some will expire quickly unless frozen, while others are not suitable or will not taste the same after freezing.
- Any fresh fruit and vegetables for coming week. Fruit for lunch boxes, as well as vegetables for cooking. Always good to buy in some frozen vegetables as well, peas, sweetcorn, beans, casserole mix etc.)
- Any fresh meat for coming week. Always good to keep a small amount of meat in the freezer, a couple chicken breasts, beef mince etc.
- Salad or lettuce for sandwiches, lunches and light meals.
- Bread of roles for sandwiches. (Freeze a sliced loaf if you can and take out your slices for lunch the night before)
These items are essential for a well equipped student kitchen, but will not go off quickly.
- Salt and pepper
- Butter or Spread
- Herbs and Spices. Chilli powder, basil, paprika, thyme, oregano and coriander as a basic set. For curries you will want spices such as ground cumin, ground turmeric, ground coriander and ground cinnamon.
- Ginger root or ginger paste. Ground ginger does not quite taste the same, but will be a reasonable substitute.
- Worcester sauce
- Tins of chopped tomatoes. You’d be surprised how many stews and pasta meals have tomatoes as their base.
- Rice (remember you will need different rice types to do a paella or risotto)
- Cous cous
- Garlic clove or garlic paste (less likely to go off, and much less hassle).
- Tomato paste.
- Cheese. Only if you are a fan of it grated on your pasta or for sandwiches.
- Frozen chips, nuggets and pizzas for lazy days.
Essentials for your house, you will need them, so make sure they don’t run out.
- Toilet roll
- Washing powder.
- Washing up liquid.
- Soap or shower gel.
- Kitchen towels.
- Kitchen foil, cling film, grease paper, sandwich bags etc.
- Kitchen cleaner and bathroom cleaner.
- Bathroom bleach.