How do I make friends at university? Making Friends at university is a question that is on many Freshers minds, here are a few tips to help you make friends at university. We also have tips for Freshers as well as general university life tips.
Are you unhappy or struggling at university? Read our article on Struggling to make friends or unhappy at University.
- Make the effort! If you are seen to be making an effort to be friends they will respond better.
- Try and make as many non-course friends as possible, you will have many years to talk to these people, but only a year to make friends with the people in your halls or on your corridor.
- Try and stay in the communal areas as much as possible, if you go for a drink or a snack to eat then stay in the communal area, it gives you a chance to chat with people you live around.
- As above only with dinner, don’t eat alone in your room, try and arrange it so your eating with people, or even better cooking with people – it’s a great way to socialise! If you are catered then arrange for you all to go down to dinner as a corridor.
- Join a few clubs or activities, this one especially applies if you aren’t really a clubbing/pubbing type person. It gives you a chance to meet people in different kinds of situation.
- Breaking the ice in your first week can be done by buying people a round, or taking up a crate of beer or wine, students tend to come running when something free is on offer.
- Even if you don’t drink, still go out and have a good time, there is always Coca Cola and Red Bull on offer to give you a caffeine boost.
- Take up some popular DVDs people might like to watch whenever you don’t fancy going out for the evening.
- Taking sport equipment like Frisbees and Footballs. They are another good way to meet people, ask your flat mates if they want to go outside and play a game with you.
- Chat to people in queues, they are a great way to make friends! Try and get into as many as possible in Freshers week and start talking to everyone.
- Always remain a positive and happy person, people don’t like a moaner.
- Keep your door open when you are in your room, even while you are working.
- Don’t get too locked in with one crowd, you may fall out with them or them with you.
- Don’t be disheartened if everyone seems to arrive at university in a relationship, over half of them will probably be over within the first few weeks!
- Go to your hall and department socials, they are a good place to meet new people.
- Above all talk to people and don’t stay in your room watching your TV.
- Don’t Forget to keep yourself CLEAN with a DAILY shower! Wash your hair, brush your teeth, smell nice and wear deodorant – people don’t like unhygienic smelly people. If you go out to a sports club also shower when you come in.